A strong memory relies on the well-being and strength of the brain. For a student, preparing for the examinations, there are several things that can be adopted to enhance the memory and intellectual performance. Here are few tips that can successfully address the vital question – how to improve memory for students?
- Remain vigilant and attentive while memorizing. Allocate dedicated time for studies and other activities. This time-table will train your mind to concentrate on each activity during that specific time period.
- Activate the visual and hearing organs by making use of diagrams, graph, maps or audio/video learning to improve the memory power. According to recent studies, approximately 90% of the visual information can be easily retained by the mind. Educational channels can prove to be helpful in this regard.
- Understand the concept and inculcate interest rather than just memorize mechanically. Example: history can be more interesting if you treat it as a story more than a study material.
- Reiterate the matter you have already studied over and over. Try to remember it without looking at the book.
- Writing helps to memorize study materials. Try to write what you have learned. It is the best way to judge your knowledge and understanding.
- Imagine that you are a teacher and make an attempt to explain the study materials to an invisible classmate, without referring the books. This will help in building your memory skills.
- Discuss about the subjects with your classmates. Use the quiz format to check each other’s knowledge. This will improve your ability to recall answers instantly.
Here are some potential techniques to boost your memory power:
Laugh to remember:
Laughter influences various sections of the brain in a positive manner therefore; laughing is considered to be essential for wisdom.
Take a break:
Take a ten minutes break between studies. Ideally a break should be taken after each hour. This interval relaxes and rejuvenates your mind. This strategy can aid to develop your memory and attentiveness.
Enjoy your sleep:
Adequate sleep is vital for excellent memory power. Insufficient sleep obstructs the efficient functioning of the memory. While we are at rest, our brain operates and records all the learning and events that take place through the day. Therefore, enough sleep for around eight hours is necessary even during the exam weeks.
Foods possess the capability to change your frame of mind by regulating amino acids that directly have an effect on the brain. These acids nurture the brain with enthusiasm, inspiration, satisfaction and other sentiments. Amino acid is derived from protein based foods during the digestion process. Protein-rich food is crucial for your energy requirements and also aids with duties that engage your memory and attention.
Additionally, few foods such as fruits and vegetables include nutrients that assist to evade nervousness or dejection that can hamper the mental capacity and affect the concentration level. These foods facilitate an improvement in the overall mood of the student.
Consume anti-oxidant vitamins such as A, C and E because anti-oxidants prevent shortness of memory caused by oxidative damage. Also, multi-vitamins restrain nutrients that promote the fitness and development of tissues, cells, nerves and organs, which include the brain. Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B12 are essential for blood cell and may develop memory in students who are deficient in vitamins.
Fish oil supplements provide omega 3 fatty-acids that increase the functioning of the brain and improve learning skills and memory power.
Exercise for a fit mind:
Physical exercises can enhance the memory power by improving the flow of blood in the body and brain. All types of bodily activities and exercises develop suppleness that promotes brain health. Mental games such as computer games, puzzles, crosswords etc provide good mental exercises that help to improve memory for students.
These techniques can be employed to bring about a noticeable improvement in the overall memory and retention capacity.